Pages

Saturday 11 February 2017

Book Musings - The Earl Who Loved Me by Bethany M Sefchick

Title : The Earl Who Loved Me 
Author : Bethany M Sefchick
Series : The Seldon Park Christmas Novellas, #3
Genre : Romance, Historical
Source : Bought e-book

Blurb :

It's Twelfth Night and Lady Amelia Banbrook, the daughter of the esteemed Earl of Hollinworth, finds herself in a bit of quandary. She is in love with her family's country neighbor, the perennial bachelor, Lord David Rutledge, the Earl of Weatherby. Friends since their youth, Amelia is convinced that there is no possible way that David returns her love, no matter how much she might wish it or if he even remembers the night when her feelings for him changed.

As the renowned Earl of Weatherby, David Rutledge is used to women falling at his feet. All except for the one he most desires, of course - Lady Amelia. The house party he has planned for Twelfth Night has done little to help his cause with Amelia, much to his chagrin. With title-grasping women chasing after him, can he find a way to seduce the woman he loves and make her understand that his love is real and not just some fleeting Christmas infatuation? Or will fear keep them apart and drive him into the arms of another?

This 24,400-word novel is written in the modern, Regency romance style for a slightly hotter and sexier read. It may not be appropriate for younger audiences.


My Musings :

It isn't often that I read short stories because I have always felt that the characters couldn't be well developed. But the author has spelled death to that misconception in this book. The protagonists, David and Amelia are both deeply portrayed. Amelia's character is seen clearly with her timidity in normal times and her lioness courage when faced with danger to her love. She is strong and has a keen intellect. David is the typical bachelor who shows that he does see below the surface and that is a nice change in a hero. I love the pair of lovers and their romance isn't hurried either. It might seem that their love for each other was revealed suddenly but I feel that the base was laid long back when they were younger and just now growing fruit.

This book has all the elements I love in a romance - Regency era, friends to lovers theme and soft romance with a few steamy scenes. I loved the fast read. I read it in less than an hour. I have another one of the author's books on my TBR and I can't wait to read it.

My one line review : A soft romance which makes the heart go pitter patter

My rating : 5/5

My reread factor : 4/5

Floryie

No comments:

Post a Comment