Pages

Saturday 26 September 2015

Book Musings - Regina Shen : Salvage by Lance Erlick

Title : Regina Shen : Salvage
Author : Lance Erlick
Series : Regina Shen, Short Story
Genre : Young Adult, Dystopia
Source : Free copy from the author for an honest review

Blurb : 

Living on the seaward side of barrier walls built to protect against rising seas, the only means of survival for Regina Shen is underwater salvage, which is banned by the World Federation. After a storm takes her friend’s family and home, Regina is determined to help by defying the Federation


GOODREADS        AMAZON


My Musings : 

This is a fascinating look into the everyday life of Regina. 

The book covers only the aftermath of a storm and a salvage adventure by Regina and Magdalena. So it is a very short read. I believe I read it in 30 minutes or so. A short read, yes but also a very intense one because it takes you into the deeper levels of Regina's world before the book, Resilience. I think I am right in placing the story in the time line. Anyway I say intense because I literally felt I was there during the storm with Regina and her family. The description had me visualising everything easily. The emotions of the characters are also felt very realistically ranging from Colleen's fear to Regina's Mom's determination to Regina's grit and stubbornness at the start and Regina's gutsy venture into the unknown for her friend and Magdalena's brave attempt to follow Regina and stay alive inspite of losing everything at the end. 

Everything comes together to make an easy read which enlightened me to the struggles going on in the swamps. Each time I read a book in this series, I always wonder if this might be a distant future of ours. I find the writing original and at the same time true to life. I hope the next book in the series is released soon. Or atleast another short story to keep my appetite contained till the sequel is out!

My one line review : A fascinating look into the everyday life of Regina Shen

My rating : 5/5

My reread factor : 4/5

Floryie

No comments:

Post a Comment