Pages

Wednesday 15 April 2015

Book Musings - Dance by Midnight by Phaedra Weldon

Name of the book : Dance by Midnight
Author's Name : Phaedra Weldon
Genre : Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Young Adult
Source : A free copy from the author for an honest review

Blurb :
Darren “Dags” McConnell wants to recover the memories of his childhood. Memories that could hold the key to what happened in a fire that took his mother and left him buried inside a tree.When conventional means of memory recovery prove useless, the Grimoire, an ancient tome of magic fused to Dags’s soul, promises a spell to shine a light on his past. He travels to Savannah, Georgia to collect the final ingredient, the dust of his ancestors.A chance reunion with an old friend searching for his missing daughter delays Dags’s search when he volunteers to help. But when a hired Witch discovers the daughter was taken by Faeries, Dags learns the Faerie Realms hold much more than just strange denizens. Can Dags survive an Angel’s wrath, a flesh eating Changeling, and a mad Faerie queen? Will he find the answers to his past?
My Musings : 

Usually I find the book covers kind of symbolic but this book cover isn't totally up to par in my opinion. I think it needs something more though it has the elements characterising the story. The blurb promises a brisk paced adventurous tale but the pace isn't constant. It starts off with a fast paced scene but then it starts to slow down then again picks up speed.

A different set of characters are introduced to us with the exception of Sam,Grey and the Faerie Queens. I found it a bit weird with Sam being one of the side characters in this book. Darren (Dags) McConnell is a bit of a coward but he measures up at least a bit in the end. Mike Ross comes across as a concerned father and a loyal friend. The book showcases more of the Faerie Realms leading to a good bit of world building.

When I started reading the book, I didn't expect the story to lead up to the Faerie Queen, Medbh's head removal. What I imagined would be the tale surrounding it, was totally different from how it played out. Though this series happens before the Elemental Arcane series, it isn't difficult to follow the book.

The book didn't satisfy me completely. It disappointed me a bit at the end and the flow wasn't that engrossing. In spite of it all, I finished the reading in a day because I wanted to know where it would lead to and it has lead to more questions and for that, I would follow the series.

My one line review : Dance by Midnight is a good start to a new series, answering a few questions and in turn leading to more!

My rating : 3.5/5

My reread factor : 4/5

Floryie

No comments:

Post a Comment