Pages

Saturday 21 March 2015

Book Musings - Babe in Boyland by Jody Gehrman

Name of the book   : Babe in Boyland
Author's name        :  Jody Gehrman 
Genre                       : Young Adult, Romance
Source                      : Bought

Blurb:

When high school junior Natalie-or Dr. Aphrodite, as she calls herself when writing the relationship column for her school paper-is accused of knowing nothing about guys and giving girls bad relationship advice, she decides to investigate what guys really think and want. But the guys in her class won't give her straight or serious answers. The only solution? Disguising herself as a guy and spending a week at Underwood Academy, the private all-boy boarding school in town. There she learns a lot about guys and girls in ways she never expected-especially when she falls for her dreamy roommate, Emilio. How can she show him she likes him without blowing her cover?


My musings : 

What to say ? The story line wasn't anything new. I have read girls masquerading as boys themed books before. But it's one of my favourite plots to date so I had to try this version too..

The name and the front picture fits the book to a T ( obviously) , my only regret being Nat didn't sport a moustache. The story revolves around the main character Natalie and how she tries to get first hand information about boys by going undercover at an all boys school. Natalie comes across as the typical teenager though she makes some good observations regarding the convoluted girl-boy relationship. I totally loved the Q & A at the end of the book.

She was well supported by her cast of best friends, Darcy and Chloe and her new friends, Tyler,Max and Earl. Darcy is sweet while Chloe comes across as bitchy. I found it interesting that Tyler and his gang were more admiring than upset at the reveal.

Summer , the antagonist is the ultimate vamp. I found it a bit unrealistic that Summer could look through her disguise so fast and so easily. I almost left out Josh. He seems to be the perfect hot guy on the surface but vain and stupid. I would have liked to know more of his thoughts when Natalie was outed. It would have been an entertaining read.

Now coming to the 'Hero' of the book, Emilio. He was kind of sensitive and real I guess but at the same time a typical guy. Physical appearances do matter . His confession at the end that he had been questioning his sexual orientation made me smile. It so reminded me of another book.

One of the few things I found implausible was Natalie's mom's disinterest in her whereabouts. What mother would not realise something is wrong when she hasn't heard from her daughter in a week,even though the daughter was busy with a project? I would have expected her to be suspicious when she hasn't spoken with her and is being given ridiculous excuses by her best friend. Another one was the Underwood's enrolment system. Seriously no one would be suspicious of a guy coming to join at such a late date? I was literally shaking my head at these parts.

I read the entire book in a couple of hours when I could, even at work!.. I had a serious case of smiling and laughing. I had laughed out loud at times. My co workers were sure I was mad. The read was light, funny yet tiny bit thought provoking. The plot is cliche. It has been written about and will be written about again in the future, but this particular version was good. I am looking forward to reading this author's other works.

My one line review : Fluffy,light and funny - puts a smile on your face.

My rating : 4.5 / 5

My reread factor : 3.5 / 5 

 Floryie

No comments:

Post a Comment